Monday, January 21, 2013

Deciding What To Pack


I do not travel light. Yet whatever I take I have to carry on my back. Hmmmm. You read about these folk who take 2 sets of underwear, 2 pairs of socks, a pair of jeans a few T-shirts and a jacket. THAT IS SO NOT ME!



What if it rains and I can’t wash my underwear? What if I have to go somewhere smart? I am such a worrier and my middle name should have been Justenecase. Just in case I need this or that plus that .... 

I have taking a backpack and a daypack and that is it!

Out come the contents of my wardrobe onto the bed. 5 sets of underwear, 5 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of smart slax, tracksuit, 4 T-shirts, 2 long sleeved shirts, a couple of skirts, a wrap 2 dresses, one thick, one thin jersey, 3 pairs of shorts, slops, walking shoes, sandals, takkies, PJ’s…., jacket, rain poncho, swimming costume, scarf, sunhat, woolly hat. Should I take 1 or 2 towels? 

Aah toiletries and first aid kit. Half of the medicine cabinet joins the pile. I have been to the doctor and got some broad spectrum antibiotics and I have bought packs of pills for every possible ailment I might encounter and of course bandages, plasters and ointments, tissues and a loo roll, make-up, lotions and potions. 

I have been told that I must take a sleeping bag or duvet cover especially if I am going to stay in youth hostels or dicey places that might have bedbugs. (Note: The duvet cover was probably one of my best items I took with me. I put all my valuables into the duvet cover at night by my feet which kept them safe. It also worked well as a blanket on the ferries and on long bus and train journeys.)

Can’t possibly go without books to read, puzzles, packs of cards, a travel chess set . Where I am going they don’t speak English, you know and how will I get to sleep if I don’t have something to read? Don’t forget the Travel Guide!

Passport, international drivers licence, list of important contacts, copies of travellers cheques, foreign exchange, bum bag, money-belt, a couple of photos of my kids, journal, 3 or 4 pens in case I lose one. 

Cell phone, cell phone charger,camera, hair dryer (like I really bother to dry my hair at home), travel iron, a bag with lots of little adapter plugs.

Tea bags, cup of soups,travel mug, immersion heater, soap powder get added to the pile.  

OK that seems about to be the lot.

I have been reliably informed that it is best to roll your clothes when packing. It is more efficient.

Let the packing commence!

Methodically I start to roll and place my clothes in the backpack. Actually it is quite roomy. Amazing how many nooks and crannies there are. I am feeling quite pleased with myself. 

Being pleased with myself slowly starts to turn to panic as the pile on the bed doesn’t really seem to be going down but my bag is bulging. 

A few cups of tea later I decide to try again. I am going to be RUTHLESS! I don’t need skirts, the wrap will do,and now I remove one of each type of clothing. 

After a couple of days with piles of clothes strewn around the bedroom being packed and unpacked I think I have got it about right. It is now time to see how it feels on my back. What a joke I can’t even lift it. 

Back to the drawing board. Actually it is not the clothes now that are the problem but all the extra stuff.

My final packing contained the following:

  • 3 sets underwear and socks
  • 1 x jeans, slacks, tracksuit, wrap, 2 dresses, 4 T-shirts
  • Walking shoes, takkies, slops
  • Rain poncho that covered backpack as well (most useful)
  • Jacket and one thin pullover
  • Costume, towel, duvet cover
  • First aid kit with the bare essentials, a loo roll with the core removed so it packed flatter, a travel pack of tissues.
  • Tiny bottles of lotions, potions and soaps and minimal makeup
  • Cellphone, charger, camera, money and documents as above. Could not sacrifice those.
  • Immersion heater (quite useful)and adapter plugs and tea bags and soups. 
  • Travel guide, chick book for the plane that I could ditch on arrival, journal, pens, picks of the kids, 2 packs of cards.
  • Bumbag in preference to the money belt. Too uncomfortable. Not fashionable I know but safety was more important.
  • Pack of small cable ties and a couple of locks.
Now I could just about walk with the backpack on my back and the day pack on my front without falling over. There was no way however that I could lift it onto my back without help. I soon learned though it worked quite well if I put the pack on the seat, crouched down and manoeuvred it onto my back. What I looked like I don’t want to even think about.

Last few pics with hubby and the boys and off to the airport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I value all comments and feedback. However please respect me and others and don't post comments that you would not want your parents or children to read.